Some Thoughts on 401(k) Day
Each year, plan sponsors are encouraged to celebrate 401(k) Day by promoting their retirement plan. This year, National 401(k) Day is on September 8.
Offering participants a plan designed with their best interests in mind, along with effective savings and accumulation strategies, and corresponding decumulation strategies, is critical.
With that in mind, we are taking the opportunity to use this day to share Pentegra’s top ten tips for smart retirement planning at any age.
Top Ten Tips for Smart Retirement Planning
- No matter how old you are, take some time to think about a realistic retirement date based on where you are at right now. This “date” is not set in stone and may change over time, but you have to start somewhere.
- Sit down and do the math using retirement income calculators online to see if you are saving enough for retirement. The results can be overwhelming and might seem unattainable, but it must be done. Make adjustments as needed to your retirement date/savings strategy.
- Take advantage of compounding by starting to save as early as you can, but remember that it is never too late.
- If possible, increase your 401(k) savings rate every time you get a pay raise, no matter what.
- Review your portfolio regularly. Asset allocation decisions are among the most important that you can make. Studies have shown that asset allocation is responsible for as much as 90% of the variability of long-term returns produced by professional portfolio managers.
- Do not put all of your eggs in one basket – diversification is key. Do your research.
- Remember that every investment has some level of risk associated with it. While no one wants to take unnecessary risks with his or her money, keep inflation risk in mind as well.
- Take advantage of the Catch-up Contribution that allows you to contribute even more to your 401(k) account if you are over the age of 50.
- Remember to rebalance your account periodically.
- Consider changing your investment allocation as your age and life circumstances change.
Take advantage of your 401(k) plan today to help you build financial security and achieve successful retirement outcomes.
Be sure to get more advice and tips by following Pentegra’s conversation on social media using the hashtag #TalkAboutRetirement.
About Richard Rausser
Richard W. Rausser has over 25 years of experience in the retirement benefits field. He is Senior Vice President of Client Services at Pentegra, a leading provider of retirement plan, fiduciary outsourcing and institutional investment services to organizations nationwide, founded by the Federal Home Loan Bank System in 1943. Rausser oversees the consulting, marketing and communications, compliance and actuarial service practice groups at Pentegra. He is a frequent speaker on retirement benefit topics; a Certified Pension Consultant (CPC); a Qualified Pension Administrator (QPA); a Qualified 401(k) Administrator (QKA); and a member of the American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries (ASPPA). He holds an M.B.A. in Finance from Fairleigh Dickinson University and a B.A. in Economics and Business Administration from Ursinus College.